The social medium Twitter has permanently blocked the account of US President Donald Trump from their platform. The company announced this on their website on Saturday morning (Dutch time). Twitter cites “the risk of further incitement to violence” as the reason. Trump tried to post via the official US presidential account @POTUS, but these have already been removed by the platform.
After Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on Wednesday, Trump’s account was suspended for 12 hours. Back then, the platform already demanded that Trump delete three messages because they violate the code of conduct.
In a statement, Twitter explained that their platform should “allow the public to hear directly from elected officials and world leaders.” On the other hand, the company states that “no one is above our rules and may use Twitter to incite violence, among other things.”
On Thursday, the president posted two messages that were decisive according to Twitter. In these messages, Trump said he would not attend Joe Biden’s inauguration and reiterated an unsubstantiated claim that his rank and file had been unfairly treated.
Twitter believes these messages could further convince people that the election would have been unfair and could spur acts similar to the storming of the Capitol on Wednesday.
Trump tries to evade ban via presidential account
Trump made another attempt to post via the official US presidential account a few hours after his ban. In it, the president expressed anger at the incident and said that Twitter opposes freedom of speech. The messages were quickly removed by the platform.
In the reports, Trump said he is considering setting up his own social medium. He claims to be in negotiations with other websites and to have a “big announcement” soon.
Multiple social media intervened against Trump
Since the storm, multiple social media outlets have taken action against the president. For example, he has been temporarily suspended from Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram because of messages that could be seen as inflammatory.
The TikTok platform, where Trump does not have an account himself, is removing videos of Trump addressing US Capitol stormers and repeating claims about fraudulent presidential elections.
In his first video after the temporary first Twitter ban, Trump accepted his election defeat and condemned the “heinous attack” on the Capitol.