French police arrested a man of 35 on Friday in the investigation into the attack in Nice, French media report. A 47-year-old man was also arrested on Thursday evening. Both men were in contact with the perpetrator.
It concerns a possible accomplice of the man who killed three people in a church in the southern coastal city. The 35-year-old man is said to have been with the perpetrator the day before the attack.
A 21-year-old Tunisian attacked people at a church with a knife on Thursday morning. According to the authorities, the man had a Quran with him and shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is the greatest). Three people were killed. A woman would be virtually decapitated.
The police later shot the attacker, but he is still alive. He is seriously injured in hospital. The perpetrator is said to have come to Europe via the Italian island of Lampedusa earlier this year.
The highest threat level applies in France
The highest threat level has been in place throughout France since the terrorist attack, Prime Minister Jean Castex said at a press conference on Thursday. This allows the government to take more security measures throughout France.
France has been repeatedly rocked by attacks by Muslim extremists in recent years. Two weeks ago, the beheading of teacher Samuel Paty already caused shocked reactions. He had shown cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in a lesson on freedom of speech.