Roman Polanski to appear in court in libel case in 2024 | #metoo



French-Polish director Roman Polanski must stand trial for defamation in 2024. The court of Paris announced on Tuesday that the case against the filmmaker will start on March 5, French media report.

Polanski, 89, faces libel charges following statements made in an interview with a French magazine in 2019.

In it, the filmmaker responded to accusations from British actress Charlotte Lewis, who says she was abused by him in the 1980s at the age of sixteen. In the interview, Polanski called her a “liar” among other things.

He also referred to an interview Lewis herself gave in 1991, in which she said she wanted to be the director’s “mistress”. In 2010, the actress said that many of her quotes from that conversation were incorrect. Lewis sued Polanski for libel after his interview appeared.

The director of films like chinatown and Rosemary’s Baby was convicted in the United States in 1977 of having sex with a thirteen-year-old girl. Since then he has lived in Europe, because he would be arrested immediately in the US. Meanwhile, several other women have accused Polanski of sexual misconduct.

In 2018, Polanski was removed from the Oscar Academy, the jury that helps determine which films and makers receive an Oscar.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *